To majority of women, sustaining menstrual or period cramps can be as painful as dealing with a heart attack. Being commonly known as Premenstrual Syndrome, it has been known that over 75% of women are experiencing period pain every month.
Oftentimes, menstrual cramps symptoms appear a week earlier before the menstrual period occurs. The severity of the pain varies from one woman to another. However, one of the primary factors why women suffer from such condition is due to hormonal imbalance. While menstrual cramps can really be painful, the good thing is that women can still take many routes to get an instant relief from such pain.
So, what helps cramps? Here are some of the most effective and natural reliefs to follow to get rid of the pain caused by PMS.
1. Improve your diet – One of the known contributing factors why women tend to suffer from period cramps is the food intake. Researchers have found out that reducing fat intake is one of the safest ways to relieve yourself from PMS. On the other hand, a woman who’s suffering from such condition is also advised to eat green and leafy vegetables. Taking in a low-fat diet has been proven to lessen the pain as it decreases the levels of inflammation inside the body. Achieving a healthier diet entails lots of effort from time to time. Perhaps, the best way to start it right is choosing to eat healthier foods with less saturated fats!
2. Take in herbal teas that soothe the cramps – There are also specific herbal teas to consider that helps you deal with menstrual cramp effectively. Herbal teas are known to relieve menstrual pain since some of its herbs may act as estrogen in a woman’s body. Taking in a cup of tea three times a day is already a great remedy to your menstrual problems. Drink it and see the results for yourself!
3. Use essential oils to for pain relief – Aromatic and healthy essentials oils are also proven to relieve menstrual cramps effectively. All you need to do is to massage this oil into your lower abdomen and experience its soothing effect right away. Make sure to purchase safe essential oils in order to avoid certain irritations on the skin.
4. Make use of heating treatment – One of the most effective techniques to get rid of the pain from menstrual cramps is through a heat treatment. You can simply pour in a hot water inside the bottle, wrap it up with a cloth, and place it on top of your lower abdomen. This enhances the blood flow, and as a result, menstrual cramp immediately decreases.
5. Load up magnesium to your daily diet – Another natural relief to menstrual cramp is through taking in loads of dietary magnesium. It has been proven to ease the pain of menstrual cramps as it helps regulate the nerves and helps the muscles to function very well. There are lots of foods that are rich in magnesium, and all you need to do is to include it in your daily diet.
6. Take fish oil supplements – Another natural treatment for menstrual cramps is by taking in fish oil supplements. Taking this supplementation helps relieve the pain in your lower abdomen.
7. Try acupuncture – This is one of the oldest alternative medicines that is known to relieve menstrual cramps. Acupuncture is proven to relax the nervous system and enhances the blood flow at the same time. Just make sure that you’ll go to a licensed acupuncturist whenever you wish to try this remedy for PMS.
8. Load up vitamins and minerals intake – Nutritionist has suggested for women to take more vitamins and minerals into their daily meals. Plant-based meals are important factors to lessen the chances of suffering from premenstrual syndrome. Apart from fruits and vegetables, chocolate is also a known remedy to PMS since it contains loads of magnesium.
9. Do some light exercise – While some women find it hard to move during menstruation, it has been suggested that doing light exercise is very important. Whenever you feel bloated and uncomfortable, a bit of exercise may help you get rid of the pain. Exercise is known to increase the blood flow and may reduce cramping more effectively.
9. Have a good sleep – In general, getting a good sleep is important to one’s health. It is believed that a regular sleep also promotes a regular cycle during menstruation. Getting a good sleep and a good relaxation, in general, plays an important role to get rid of the menstrual pain. Allowing your body to relax and go through its natural process of healing through sleep allows you to reduce PMS even better.
These are some of the helpful tips to follow to give yourself instant relief from the pain of your menstrual cramps. Whenever some of these tips no longer work for you, it is better for you to consult your doctor.
What are the foods that increase Premenstrual Syndrome?
While menstrual cramps became common to most menstruating women every month, it is also important to learn about the foods which may increase the risk of experiencing one. Here are some of the common foods that a woman must avoid in order to get rid of this lower abdominal pain during menstruation.
- Caffeine-rich drinks – This is one of the foods that one must avoid to get rid of menstrual cramps. Caffeine drinks, which include coffee and sodas, are known to be dehydrating and which may cause severe abdominal pain. Apart from that, this may also worsen a woman’s anxiety, depression, and as well as with its breast tenderness.
- Sugary foods – It is also important to avoid eating sweets when you are about to menstruate. Sugary foods may cause intense fluctuation in the blood sugar that may affect a person’s mood, headache, and the ability to concentrate.
- Foods with saturated fats – Taking foods which are highly rich in saturated fats are known to make menstrual cramps get worse. Thus, as much as possible, cut down these foods to your diet, and start choosing foods that are healthy and safe for your health.
Love reading this article? Share it on your social media account by clicking the icons below.