What is dandruff?
If you have dry, flaking scalp, you may suffer from dandruff. Dry flakes that cover all your scalp gives you the worst time of your life. Dandruff is a sign that the skin of your scalp is exfoliating. It isn’t a contagious or serious problem but it can be embarrassing and very difficult to treat.
The problem arises when the amount of dandruff increases on the scalp and begins to be visible in the hair and on the shoulders. Dandruff makes your scalp dry and sometimes it causes itching in the scalp that makes you uncomfortable. Dry scalp gets irritated and flakes off. Dandruff is also considered as the sensitive type of seborrheic dermatitis. In infants, seborrheic dermatitis is known as cradle crap. Dandruff can cause excessive oil production in the scalp. Too much oil increases skin cells production and then shed. So, the dry flakes present in your hair and on the shoulder are fragments of stratum corneum. Dandruff is not easy to deal with, also it takes time to get rid of dandruff from the hair and scalp.
Different factors trigger dandruff and makes scalp dry:
- Contact dermatitis which is due to the reaction to different products used on the scalp.
- It usually begins in adulthood and also continues to the middle age.
- Certain diseases such as Parkinson’s disease and weakened immune system can increase the risk of dandruff.
Here are some common causes why you may be experience dry scalp and dandruff:
- Dry skin is one of the main causes of dandruff. Dry skin is the root of the dandruff and gets worse with the passage of time.
- Another cause is not using enough shampoo that sounds unhygienic. When you’re not using enough shampoo, it will cause accumulation of oil in the skin that is the reason for formation of dandruff on the skin.
- Excessive production of oil and sebum on the scalp causes dandruff production.
- Many people are allergic to different types of substances. So, hair care products can cause irritation and soreness in the scalp which lead to flakes formation in the scalp. It is due to the sensitive skin.
- Malassezia is the yeast that is naturally present on the skin and scalp of humans. Malassezia is also attracted by the oil glands of the scalp, face and upper trunk. As it attracts the oil glands and breaches into the skin barrier of the scalp, causing water loss that leads to dry skin. Also, sometimes immune systems may get overactive that can increase the production of the fungus. In the result, it causes dandruff formation in the scalp.
- Dandruff is also produced by excessive exfoliation of the scalp. There are a number of scalp diseases that produce dandruff.
- There are different inflammatory diseases such as psoriasis, allergic contact dermatitis and fungal infection of the scalp that can produce dry flakes and dandruff.
Treating dandruff is a matter of trials and difficult to treat. It is not painful or serious but can be irritating and embarrassing. There are some natural remedies for treating dandruff because these natural remedies also have anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce redness that some people experience on the scalp due to dandruff.
Can lemon and coconut oil treat dandruff?
There are many expensive treatments available in the market for the treatment of dandruff. But it is best to first try some items from the kitchen that are cheap and easily available. Lemon and coconut oil are those easily available items that show beneficial results for treatment of dandruff. Coconut oil and lemon are effective for hair and treating dandruff. Coconut oil works as a conditioner that makes hair smooth and shiny. Malassezia is the fungus which also causes dandruff. Coconut oil has antifungal properties, so using coconut oil on the hair can reduce the amount of this fungus on your scalp that is helpful to decrease the dandruff. Coconut oil also reduces the pain and inflammation that are related to some cases of dandruff related to psoriasis and other skin diseases.
While lemon contains citric acid and is rich in antioxidants. So, it helps to boost up your immune system and maintain hair health. It is also effective to get rid of dandruff. It provides strength to the hair follicles and also removes excess oil from the scalp that leads to formation of dry flakes in the scalp. It also maintains the pH of the scalp which is beneficial to reduce the collection of dandruff. Lemon also contains vitamin C and vitamin B. As vitamin C has antioxidant properties, it not only provides strength to the hair follicles but also promotes collagen production that repair damaged cells of the skin. Vitamin B treats many skin problems such as seborrheic dermatitis that is one of the leading causes of dandruff.
However, Lemon and coconut oil have many benefits on skin, hair and nails. So, combining lemon with coconut oil is the best natural cure for the treatment of dandruff. A lemon is helpful for preventing and treating the condition of dandruff. But if you thought, using lemon juice directly on your scalp and hair is effective then you are wrong. You have to mix lemon with different other ingredients such as coconut oil for better and quick results. Coconut oil is a natural hair conditioner and has antifungal properties. So, when lemon is combined with coconut oil, this combo gently coats your hair with the protective layer that helps to protect the hair from external damage.
Lemon and coconut oil remedy
The remedy of lemon and coconut oil is simple. Take 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil and all you need is to heat that coconut oil. Now, you have to mix it with an equal quantity of lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your scalp and massage it for 10 to 15 minutes. Leave this mixture on your hair and scalp for an additional 10 minutes. Then, wash your hair with mild shampoo and see the results. You can repeat this remedy twice a week for better results which helps your scalp to get rid of dandruff and makes your hair healthy.
Using lemon with coconut oil gives you relief from itchy scalp. It also keeps your scalp moisturized and prevents it from getting dry. It is beneficial because it provides you dandruff free scalp. If you are suffering from severe dandruff, you can also apply a mixture of lemon and coconut oil at night and leave it overnight. When you wash it in the morning with the shampoo, you can see an effective result.
Other benefit for hair
There are many other benefits of using lemon with coconut oil on hair.
- Lemon with coconut oil helps to reduce excessive oil and works as an oil controller. This remedy promotes a healthy scalp and reduces the grease from the scalp. It also removes dirt and keeps pores unclogged.
- This combo reduces itchiness of the scalp which is often due to dandruff. The mixture of lemon juice with coconut oil also makes your hair soft and shiny. By applying this mixture on the hair, it removes the dryness and enhances the shine of the hair. As coconut oil and lemon are acidic in nature, they provide shiny hair.
- Lemon has antioxidant properties, so when it is combined with coconut oil. Then, they are helpful to prevent cell damage of your scalp.
- Together, lemon and coconut oil help to boost hair growth. They protect the hair from sun damage and prevent them from thinning and greying. They also stimulate the hair growth, so they are very effective to use on the hair.
- Dry skin can make skin worse and also exacerbate dandruff. Dry scalp is different from dandruff. Therefore, applying lemon with coconut oil provides moisture to the scalp that prevents the skin from becoming dry. Coconut oil is helpful to provide hydration to the scalp which is effective in preventing dryness.
Possible Side effects using lemon and coconut oil
Since lemon and coconut oil are natural ingredients and effective for treating dandruff. But still these ingredients carry the slight risk of side effects.
Coconut oil is too strong for sensitive skin; therefore, it can cause different rashes on the skin. It is good to apply a small amount of coconut oil on the skin for testing any sensitivities. You can also rub it on the skin and wait for a few minutes. If you notice any reaction such as rash, itchiness or hives then do not use it on your scalp.
Many people have different causes of dandruff. If you don’t know the underlying cause of dandruff and use coconut oil on the scalp. It may trigger more irritation in the scalp. You can also consult your doctor, if you develop widespread rashes and hives from the coconut oil.
Lemon juice has low pH and is acidic in nature, so it may cause some uncomfortable symptoms on sensitive skin. You can stop using lemon juice immediately if you experience the following:
- Burning sensation
Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
$14.84 in stock
- 7-fluid ounce bottle of Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo containing ketoconazole 1% to relieve flaking, scaling, and itching caused by dandruff
- This powerful dandruff control shampoo is made with ketoconazole 1%, an effective ingredient that is proven to help fight dandruff outbreaks.Avoid contact with eyes
- Salon-tested, this dandruff treatment shampoo is specially formulated to be gentle and is safe enough to be used on color-treated, chemically processed and gray hair
- The rich, thick lather of this itchy scalp shampoo rinses clean, leaves hair smelling fresh and helps relieve scalps that are flaky, itchy and scaling
- SELF-CARE SOLUTIONS: At Kramer Laboratories we focus on consumer needs to help provide innovative solutions to everyday healthcare problems. Fight dandruff and flakiness with Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo
bubbleox.com is a participant of several affiliate programs. The list includes (but not limited to) the following: ShareASale and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. bubbloex.com does not intend to provide veterinary advice. All published articles are meant for informational purposes only and not substitute the professional veterinary consultation.