If you’ve been having problems falling a sleep lately, you are not alone. According to research, 1 in 3 adults are also not getting enough Zzzs. What’s more troubling is, the percentage of those who have been getting less than 6 hours of sleep in a day has increased by 31% over the past 34 years.
Remember the last time you didn’t get as much sleep? Do you still remember the feeling you had then? Did your head hurt? Did you feel dizzy? How energetic were you throughout the day? I bet it wasn’t an experience to be proud of.
Live Long, Sleep 7 to 8 hours a day
Sleep is important. When you lack sleep, all sorts of things can happen to your body. You become vulnerable. The likelihood of you getting sick is high. Your immune system gets weakened and that’s when your body becomes exposed to certain diseases. The possibility of getting diabetes and certain cancer types is no longer an improbable reality. Moreover, as if that’s not bad enough, your sex drive may plummet down the drain.
Adults need at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep in a day. In a study conducted in the United Kingdom and Italy, they concluded that those who sleep less than 5 to 7 hours a day have 12% risk of experiencing premature death. On the other hand, those who get more than 9 hours of sleep are at 30% risk. Sleeping too much or less are equally bad for your health. Shocking!
You don’t feel hungry when you are asleep. But when you are up and about longer than you have to, the need to munch arise.
There are 2 hormones that are responsible in triggering appetite and are influenced by sleep –ghrelin and liptin. High level of ghrelin triggers appetite while Leptin help reduce it. When you lack sleep, ghreline level spikes, leptin decreases, making you feel hungry.
Lack of sleep also increases endocannabinoid. It makes you crave for certain food like sweets and cookies and enjoy eating them.
Weak Immune System
Cytokines are compounds that the immune system release while you are asleep. Some of which help in protecting you against inflammation. When you lack sleep, cytokines along with antibodies and white blood cells can be reduced leaving your body defenseless.
Lack of sleep lead to the production of a toxic protein found in the brain called beta amyloid. When you sleep, this protein gets washed up. When you don’t get enough sleep, the protein builds up and can lead you to experiencing the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
If you’re ready to change your lifestyle and build the habit of having enough sleep every day, here are various ways you can sleep better and faster:
1. Block Blue Light
Your body has a natural way of keeping tabs on time of day called circadian rhythm. It relies on signals from the environment (daylight and darkness) to adjust. A certain hormone, melatonin, is responsible for telling your body that it’s tired and need to go to sleep. The body produces melatonin when it gets dark.
Blue light emitted by electronic devices disrupt your circadian rhythm making it harder for you to fall asleep at night. It prohibits melatonin production and tricks the brain to thinking it is day time.
When you can’t afford to say no to using cellphone or your laptop a few hours before dozing off, use of tainted glasses that block blue light at night do just the trick.
Swanwick: Cat Eye Night Swannies - Black - Premium Blue Light Blocking Glasses - Regular - Orange Tint for Superior Blue Light Blocking from Gaming PC and Smartphone Screen Glare - Sleep Support
- PREMIUM NIGHTTIME BLUE LIGHT BLOCKING GLASSES: The specialized orange-tinted lenses in Night Swannies can block over 99% of blue light (400-500nm), significantly reducing screen time glare while providing superior visual clarity.
- INVEST IN BETTER SLEEP: More than just a stylish fit, Night Swannies are exclusively designed to help signal the body to prepare for sleep. Continuously wear at least 2 hours before bedtime for optimal results!
- A PRACTICAL GIFT FOR PROFESSIONALS AND GAMERS: Surprise your favorite night owl or gamer with a pair of Swannies to help protect them from the glare of their laptop screen, smartphone or gaming PC, especially at night.
- PAIRS PERFECTLY WITH OUR DAY SWANNIES: Night Swannies are so effective that they are not recommended for continuous use in the daytime, that’s why we have our Day Swannies collections for sunup blue light protection.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We’re so sure you’ll love your Swannies that we offer a 100% money-back guarantee within 30 days of purchase.
2. Use Natural oils (Lavender)
Why do you wear your favorite cologne? Doesn’t it make you feel confident, beautiful or alluring? Our sense of smell can influence the way we feel about things. Have you noticed how the aroma of coffee alone can help you be more alert and active? Lavender does the opposite.
The smell of lavender help induce sleep. Studies show that smelling lavender 30 minutes before sleeping can help improve the quality of sleep. You can dab a few drops on your wrists or pillowcase, add a few drops to your warm bath, or add to a diffuser and spray into the air before you sleep.
Naturenics Premium Lavender Essential Oil - 100% Undiluted Pure Lavender Oil Therapeutic Grade- Promote Peaceful Sleep, Relaxation, Tension Relief- for Diffuser & Topical Use- Roll On Bottle & eBook
- ✅ 100% Pure Lavender Essential Oil: Many “lavender oils” on the market don’t contain any lavender at all. Instead they use linalyl acetate, an artificial compound that smells similar without the aromatherapy benefits. Don’t get caught out, get the real thing. Pure Certified, No Harmful Chemicals, No Sulfates, No Parabens, Gluten Free
- ✅ Ultra Concentrated For Maximum Effect: You’d be shocked if you saw how much lavender flower is squeezed into this little bottle. A high concentration means a deeper, more potent aroma & stronger therapeutic grade effects. Which means your bottle will last much longer
- ✅ Refreshing Essential Oil: Aromatherapy with our diffuser ready real Bulgarian lavender essential oils can help you relax provide peace & calming effect while having the deepest and most restful sleep ever. It also reduces stress, anxiety, insomnia, relives depression, helps lift your mood & clear your mind. A Natural treatment for your migraines & headaches
- ✅ Amazing Healing Effects: Relives pain, improves flexibility, treat muscle pain, increases blood circulation, lowers blood pressure, reduces tension in muscles, providing detoxifying & antioxidant support. Make your own Hand Soap, Lotions for Skin, Face, Scrubs, Shampoo, Candles, Lip Balm & more
- ✅ Superior Bundle: Our complete package comes with Pure Organic Lavendar Essential Oils 1 Fl Oz, Glass Dropper, Glass Metal Roll On Bottle & an eBook to help you understand powerful natural benefits Essential Oils has
3. Use an eye mask
Eye masks are the simplest and most affordable way to get you to sleep faster. By blocking light and welcoming darkness, you encourage the production of melatonin in the body which assists in making you ready to fall asleep.
Kimkoo Sleep Mask-Eye Mask for Sleeping, Sleeping Mask Blocking Out Light Perfectly for Women and Men, Soft and Comfortable Blindfold for Travelling, with Pouch, 2 Pack,Black and Gray
- Blocking light Perfectly- This sleeping eye mask features a patented nose wing design. The bottom of the eye mask is filled with elastic filler, which can be adjusted at will, and thus is very effective at blocking any light coming in through the nose area.
- No pressure on the eyes - This sleeping mask is designed with soft delta side wings, which prevent any unwanted shifting of the mask, and effectively disperses the pressure on your eyes and head, so that your eyes won’t feel any pressure while wearing it.
- Super soft and comfortable - This sleeping mask uses four layers of super breathable fabrics, including flexible foam and a modal fabric. The side touching the skin is made from super soft modal fabric, which is incredibly soft to the touch.
- 100% handmade – Comes with neat stitching, perfect detailing, an adjustable elastic strap that fits heads from 19 to 28 inches and a portable carrying bag.
- If there is any damage or quality problems during the use process, you can contact us and we will give you a perfect solution.
4. Use White noise as a sleep aid
A quiet room and environment helps with sleep.
White noise is a combination of audible frequency at the same amplitude. White noise is used to block off all other frequencies. It is best for those who find it hard to sleep in loud neighborhoods. White noise is now available in apps and inexpensive machines in the market.
White Noise Sound Machine | Portable Sleep Therapy for Home, Office, Baby & Travel | 6 Relaxing & Soothing Nature Sounds, Battery or Adapter Charging Options, Auto-Off Timer | HoMedics Sound Spa
9 used from $18.39
- 6 Soothing Sounds: Choose from 6 digitally recorded sounds: White Noise, Thunder, Ocean, Rain, Summer Night, and Brook; mimics the natural environment for the most relaxing experience possible
- Compact & Portable for Travel: The HoMedics Sleep Sound Machine is small and lightweight so it easily fits into your purse, bag, or suitcase; easy to bring your sleep sounds with you wherever you go
- Helps Your Baby Sleep: Add rhythmic nature noises to your infant’s sleep routine to help them fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer; the stylish design looks great in any room, including a nursery
- Auto-Off Timer: Play sounds continuously or choose from 3 auto-off timer options: 15, 30, or 60 minutes; plug it into a wall outlet with the AC adapter (included) or use 4 AA batteries (not included)
- What’s in the Box: (1) HoMedics SoundSpa Portable Compact Travel Sound Machine, (1) AC Adapter, (1) Quick-Start Guide
Melatonin supplements are said to help out with the production of melatonin in the body. It is safe for short-term use and is unlikely to experience any hangover or result to addiction or dependency of use. There are some minor side effects so make sure to check with your doctor first before taking.
Sleep Science Melatonin 5 mg Mixed Berry Source Naturals, Inc. 60 Gummy
- Source Naturals, Inc.
If after trying out any of these methods and you find yourself still unable to fall asleep faster or couldn’t get enough sleep, then perhaps it is time to consult a doctor.
It is crucial that you find out what causes the sleepless nights and find a solution. You might be experiencing a sleep disorder if you still feel restless after getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep, lacks energy to go through the day, if you snore or encounter problems with breathing while sleeping. A sleep disorder pertains to any psychological or physical inability to sleep or causes sleepiness in the day.
Love reading this article? Share it on your social media by clicking the icons below.
bubbleox.com is a participant of several affiliate programs. The list includes (but not limited to) the following: ShareASale and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. bubbloex.com does not intend to provide veterinary advice. All published articles are meant for informational purposes only and not substitute the professional veterinary consultation.